Tuesday 7 February 2017

Cushion Collection


My curated cushion collection. After giving away some of my cushions this is what I have left. Mind you some of those are empty, some I have because I love the case (Missha Betty Boop and Wonder Woman limited edition ones).
Cushion makeup has spread to to west as well but if you are wondering what cushion foundations/bb are they are base makeup housed in an easily portable case. Case or compact houses a sponge saturated with liquid foundation/bb cream (cushion) and comes with a rubycell sponge applicator. Cushions are usually of light to medium coverage and have incorporated skincare benefits together with makeup. They are very practical to carry around and among the quickest and easiest ways to apply your base makeup when going to work. But be forewarned there is a little bit of  a Pokemon effect with them and you can find yourself wanting to get and try them all.

Quick Review of Cushions:

High End Cushions
Those are more expensive but come with a refill so in the end they don't come out that much more expensive than those of road shop brands. Their packaging is usually  more classy and sophisticated than cute.

Going from top left to bottom right they are:

1. Laneige BB Cushion Whitening in No. 13 Ivory  - I would recommend this one to people with normal to dry skin. It is moisturizing and gives a glowy finish. Easy to apply and quite long lasting but transfers a bit unless powdered. it had light to medium coverage and it does not oxidize.  How much I love it: We are more than friends 3.5/5

2. IOPE Air Cushion Moisture Lasting in N21- feels like nothing on the skin and applies like a dream. Gives this beautiful healthy dewy finish to skin and perfects it. Does not oxidize at all. Wears for 6/7 hours on my skin before starting to slowly fade. Coverage is light to medium but buildable. How much I love it: It 's true love 4.5/5

3. Laneige BB Cushion Anti-aging No. 13 Ivory - Hello Holy Grail of Cushions! This stuff is awesome. Beautiful natural satin finish that adheres to skin like it is part of it. Good medium coverage that evens out and perfects skin and wears for good 6 hours before starting to fade a little. Does not transfer or oxidize. I don't know what is it about this one but it is like magic on my skin. How much I love it: I adore it 5/5 😍

4. Sulwhasoo Perfecting Cushion in 13 - This has this slightly medicinal herbs hanbang smell that I love. It is light to medium coverage that builds really well without going cakey. It is very lightweight and feels like nothing while giving this gorgeous natural dewy finish on skin. It wears really well too. How much I love it: We are pretty much married 5/5 😍

5. Hera UV Mist Cushion Ultra Moisture in 21 - This smells expensive, however the perfume is quite intense and lingers for some 30 minutes so if you are sensitive to smells this might not be right for you. It has natural looking satin finish and sets without powder and does not transfer during the day. Coverage is light to medium and buildable. Although it says moisture in the name it does not add moisture but looks in moisture already there. I think all skin types could use it. How much I love it: It's true love 4.5/5

6. LIRIKOS Marine Collagen Cushion LX in 17 - This one also has this expensive make up smell. It is new addition to my collection but so far so good. Nice medium coverage, it evens out my skintone and perfects my skin (pores are less visible) and is buildable without being cakey. First on it is rather dewy than sets into this semi dewy finish. After some 5 hours of wear it could do with a little pick up around the nose. It wears well and evenly but does not control oil well. How much I love it: It is love 4/5

7. ATRUE Real Black Tea True Active CC Cushion in No.1 - I have not used that for a while. It is really light, perfect for all light skinned ladies who have trouble finding light enough products but because coverage is really light I could make it work for me. Although coverage is light it does balance out any redness on skin. Finnish is semi dewy and longevity is really good. It is a perfect product for faking I have no makeup on my face thing. How much I love it: We like each other just fine 3/5

8. Luna Water Essence Founpact in 21 - It really is not a cushion. It is more like cream foundation but packaged same as a cushion foundation. I love this. Very good coverage and perfecting of skin (makes pores less visible). It is not cakey and longevity is good, only bad thing about it is that it transfers like nobody's business, setting it with powder fixes this. It just makes my skin look good.
How much I love it: It is love 4/5

Road shop/affordable cushions 
They come without a refill, but usually refills can be bought separately. They range from cutsy to classy looking and everything inbetween.  

Going from top left to bottom right they are:


9/10. Missha M Magic Cushion Moisture in 21 - (Wonder Woman limited edition and Betty Boop limited edition - yes i bought them just for the packaging)  - Not the lightest cushion out there. Goes on really light but settles into normal colour after few minutes. First on it is very glowy almost wet but after some time it turns into this natural skin glow unless powdered. It evens out my skin tone and has medium coverage (a smidge less coverage than regular version). It feels comfortable on the skin but unless powdered it will transfer if touched. How much I love it: We are OK 3/5

11. Missha M Magic Cushion in 21 (regular) - went on easy with a slight gray cast and looking very light almost whitish, this vanishes after a few minutes I guess it oxidises and turns to its normal colour. Finnish is semi-matte and sets rather fast. It has good medium coverage. On my normal skin staying power is rather good, with first wear and tear showing around the nose in 5 hours. People with dry and flaky skin might not like it as this formula might accentuate dry patches. When I compare it to my other cushions it is slightly heavy feeling on skin. How much I love it: I think I outgrew it  2.5/5



12. April Skin Magic Snow Cushion in 21 - This one has the highest coverage of all my cushions, it goes on wet but sets and does not budge come rain or come shine. Sounds good, does it not? But, and it is a big but,it forms a waxy film on the skin makes me look cakey, like I have a death mask and feels like that too. Also it makes my pores more prominent and that's a no, no. How much I love it: I am still trying to make it work but it looks like we are heading for a divorce 1.5/5

13. Etude House Precious Mineral Any Cushion Light Pearl Aura- This one is almost used up, and I really enjoyed it and of course The Light Pearl Aura version is no longer available. It was glowy had nice light to medium coverage, sat well on skin. And lasted quite a long time for such a dewy product. If it became available again I would buy a refill for sure. How much I love it: We were more than friends 3.5/5

14. A'PIEU Wonder Tension Pact Moist in 21This is really good. It looks just like my skin but better. It goes on smoothly. Moist version has medium coverage, it evens out and perfects my skin and it nicely covered my red nose (I have a bad cold). It has this nice healthy glow but does not transfer and lasts for some 5 hours before fading nicely and evenly. It runs a bit light though. Shade 21 is perfect for me it is the exact colour of my skin. The little mesh makes it easy to control the amount you take on your applicator which is a plus. How much I love it: I adore it 5/5 😍

15. Missha The Original Tension Pact Perfect Cover in 13 - There are days when this looks perfect on my skin and then there are days it looks a bit cakey. I am still trying to find the best way to wear it. When it works the finish is perfect even skin with slight dewy finish. it is lightweight and adheres to skin really well without oxidizing. Coverage is buildable medium to full. How much I love it: It is promising 3/5 for now.

16. Etude House Real Powder Cushion in Natural Beige - I bought this as my foundation for the worst summer period  when the weather is disgustingly hot and humid. It has nice coverage and when applied in a thin layer it dries to a matte powdery finish. The thing i did not like is that it made my pores look bigger but it held up fine in really hot sweaty weather with minimal fading and breaking down around the nose. I really dislike when base makeup highlights my pores, it annoys me. I will try it some more this summer and if we still don't see eye to eye it will be time to say goodbye. How much I love it: I am still trying to make it work but it looks like we are heading for a divorce 1.5/5


Oh boy that was a lot to write. My conclusion is my skin has bloody expensive taste in cushion foundations as I seem to prefer the high end ones. My skin is a snob. 


1 comment:

  1. Hi!
    This is a really great cushion comparison post, it was pleasure to read. :)
    I have only one question, how is the colour of the Hera UV Mist Ultra Moisture Cushion compared to the Laneige? I have both the 21 and 13 from Laneige and I can use the 21 without problem, but found the 13 is a closer match for me. Also, is there a difference in colour in the Laneige Whitening and Anti-aging cushions?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete