Monday 30 April 2018

Revolution Conceal & Define Concealer and Fast Base Stick Foundation - Review


Now, I admit I am a bit of a snob when it comes to  my base products. It is not like I do it on purpose, it is just the things I like the best are usually quite costly. Still, I am on the constant look out for an affordable option that will blow me away. 

Revolution Beauty is known for its affordable and good quality makeup, primarily powder products like eye shadows and highlighters, therefore I was glad to hear they have launched their base make up range. Their concealer, seemingly a dupe for Tarte Shape Tape, and their Stick Foundation have taken the beauty community by storm so I thought to give them a try. 

The best thing about these releases (beside the price) is the a good range of shades available. Foundation stick comes in 18 shades and concealer comes in 25 shades to suit variety of complexions from very pale to deep. 




Foundation stick comes in a cream plastic tube with rose gold lettering. The plastic is a bit cheep feeling but considering that foundation costs 5.99 Euro I  have no problem with it. There is 6 g of product, compared  with only other stick foundation I own Bobby Brown Skin Foundation Stick which is 9 g, it is considerably less (but it is also considerably cheaper). Concealer comes in a plastic tube with rose gold sticker and cap. It also has unnecessarily huge applicator like Tarte's Shape Tape. I hate the applicator on Shape Tape and I hate it here as well. I don't need such a huge applicator for my under eyes area. There is 3.4 ml of product for 4.99 Euro which is a bit more than half of what you usually get with concealers (liquid concealers like this one usually come with 5 to 6 ml of product). Which means you will run out of this one fast. 



Revolution Fast Base Stick Foundation

Ingredients: Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Hydrogenated Polydecene, Synthetic Wax, Cera Microcristallina, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Nylon-12, Polyethylene, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Propylparaben, BHT (+/-) CI 77891, CI 77491, CI 77499, CI 77492

As mentioned the foundation comes in 18 shades:




I have the F2 which is a good mach for my NC15 skin. 

Revolution states: The easy-to-apply stick formula melts into skin, blending seamlessly to leave a fresh and dewy finish. Twist up, swipe on and blend out with fingers, a beauty sponge or your favourite foundation brush.


I find it is best to apply directly on the skin and blend with the brush. It spreads easily and blends nicely but tends to gather around my nose. It looks really nice from a distance but up close it tends to sit on my skin instead of melting into it. I would not recommend it for textured skin as it does nothing to smooth over pores or other imperfections.  Finish is lovely, a bit on the dewy side and quite long lasting, some 6 hours before it starts to gradually fade. Some foundations look better after they sit on a skin for a bit, this one looks the best the moment you apply it but tends to look worse later on. Coverage is medium and buildable. It is a decent foundation but it did not blow me away. I still prefer the Bobby Brown Skin Foundation Stick. 

Longevity: 4/5
Coverage: 4/5
Appearance: 3/5
Price: 5/5


Top is Fast Base Stick Foundation in F2 and bottom is Revolution Conceal & Define Concealer in C2


Revolution Conceal & Define Concealer 
Ingredients: Aqua, Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Cyclopentasiloxane, Phenyl Trimethicone, Isododecane, Isobutylmethacrylate/Bis-Hydroxypropyl Dimethicone Acrylate, Cyclopemtasiloxane, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Quaternium-90 Bentonite, Propylene Carbonate, Butylene Glycol, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Cetyl PEG-PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Silica, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Sodium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Triethylhexanoin, Cetyl PEG/PGG-10/1 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Hexyl Laurate, Lecithin, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Isopropyl Myristate, 2-Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Isostearic Acid, Polyglycerol-3 Polyricinoleate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Rosa Rubiginosa (Rosehip) Seed Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, (+/-) CI 77891, CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499

Now this concealer has whopping 25 shades and they promise to keep expanding the color range which is amazing. 


Image taken from Revolution Beauty site

Revolution states: 25 shades ranging from fair to deep, in cool, neutral and warm undertones. Lightweight yet full coverage concealer to cover blemishes, even skin tone and counteract dark circles, with a matte finish that won't settle or accentuate fine lines and pores. Long wearing intense pigment that can also be used to contour and add definition. Our large doe foot applicator allows for smooth application that won't drag on the delicate skin under your eyes.


 Fast Base Stick Foundation in F2 and bottom is Revolution Conceal & Define Concealer in C2 with top part blended into skin

Now in theory this concealer is awesome. It has good medium to full coverage, it blends beautifully  and the color range is huge. However on my skin it looks horrible. It is very matte and very drying and even if I set it it emphasizes every fine line I didn't even know I had and creases like crazy. The first hour it is fine but after that it all goes to hell. I have normal skin which I keep well moisturized
 but when I tried to use it to highlight my nose it actually dried out the area so much it cracked and peeled. This never happened to me before with any other concealer. I think people with oily skin will like it but it is definitely not for me. 


Longevity: 4/5
Coverage: 4/5
Appearance: 1/5
Price: 4/5

I guess my detour into affordable base products didn't end as well as I hoped it would. 


1 comment:

  1. A maximum coverage concealer. Available in a range of eighteen skin-true shades, Revolution Pro Full Cover Camouflage Concealer is ultra-pigmented and seamlessly blendable. Effectively concealing blemishes, scars, birthmarks and veins, this non-transferrable concealer stays put all-day-long.
    revolution conceal and define concealer shade finder

    ReplyDelete